Chronicles of Vulcanica: Vale Tenebrous
“Eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog…”
A relatively new magic, Witchcraft was created by Vulcanica to give strength to the peaceful outcasts of the world. Usable only by those who harbor a strong love for the natural world, Witchcraft teaches the use of the earth’s gifts to create magical brews, divine the future, tell a person’s fortune, and raise the dead.
Though not inherently corrupting, Witchcraft is known for choosing socially rejected minds to learn its ways, and they often become more detached and distant as they progress. Master Witches are often hermits, hated and feared by those who do not understand their strange magic.
- Bewitch – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL POWER Test using Discipline/Witchcraft or Discipline/Witchcraft/Bewitch to cast a baleful spell on another creature. The Witch’s target must then make a MAGICAL ENDURANCE Test to resist the effects, equaling or exceeding the Witch’s Final Result. If the Witch beats the target, compare the difference between their successes to the chart below to determine the outcome. A Witch can never attempt to bewitch the same target more than once per day.
|1-3||-2 to one Attribute (Witch’s choice) for 1 hour||Weak muscles, ringing in ears|
|4-6||-5 to one Attribute (Witch’s choice) for 1 day.||Joint pain, bleeding ears|
|7-9||One Attribute (Witch’s choice) permanently halved||Calcified joints, ears replaced by Donkey ears|
|10+||Two Attributes (Witch’s choice) permanently lowered to 11||Transformed into Toad, haunted by baleful spirits|
1 This effect requires expenditure of a Vengeance Token. Without the Token, treat the outcome as though the Witch’s result had been 9 higher than their target’s.
- Divination – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL CONTROL Test (Moderate) using Discipline/Witchcraft/ or Discipline/Witchcraft/Divination to extend their senses beyond their body. Before making the test, the Witch must announce their target location, time, person, or object. If successful, the Witch may immediately make one MAGICAL PRESENCE Test (using their Sense// Skill, if it is relevant) as though they were there. Note that this cannot be used to spy on a person, item, or location—simply gain impressions of events, emotions, or magic. If the character wishes to use Diviniation to target a specific creature (such as locating a lost person), they must be in possession of something that belongs to that person. The possession is consumed in the process of Diviniation, unless it is particularly powerful or valuable (ST’s discretion).
- Mend – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL CONTROL Test (Difficult) using Discipline/Witchcraft/ or Discipline/Witchcraft/Mending to repair a broken object or structure. If successful, it is repaired as though there had been no damage in the first place. If the object in question is an Artifact, the Test instead becomes (Impossible). This can also be used to heal other characters, and is done exactly as described under the Discipline/Cinder/Heal Skill—except that the number of successes required is 4x the Severity of the Wound.
- Prophecy – This word is functionally identical to “Divination,” except that it can only be used to look into the future, the Witch may make sustain the divination for as long as they wish, and the attempt does not require any of the target’s possessions to work.
- Farsight – This word is functionally identical to “Divination,” except that it can only be used to target creatures, locations, or objects, the Witch may sustain the divination for as long as they wish, and may make PHYSICAL PRESENCE Tests as well (to gain more information than just impressions and inclinations).
- Necromancy – The character may, at any time, attempt a MAGICAL POWER Test (Moderate) using Discipline/Witchcraft/ or Discipline/Witchcraft/Necromancy to reanimate dead flesh. If successful, the creature immediately becomes animate, with all of its Attributes set at x.75 their previous totals (Except for MENTAL, SOCIAL, and PRESENCE, which become 0). The creature is completely under the Witch’s control (and will remain so until destroyed or dismissed), and will respond only to commands given to it by the Witch that reanimated it (which can be done verbally or mentally). The number of creatures a Witch can have under its control this way at one time is equal to their Ranks in the Discipline/Witchcraft/Necromancy Skill. Attempts to gain a creature in excess of this number will automatically fail.
Special Rule: Witches Brew
The character may, at any time, attempt to create a Brew (or Potion). Discuss with your Storyteller what you want your Brew to be, and what effects it has, both in- and out-of-game. Brews are limited in function to only what the Witch that makes it is capable of doing (a Brew could not, for example, give its user a burst of Dragon Magic, unless the Witch had some ranks in that Skill). More powerful Brews require rare and dangerous ingredients to create, and take longer to make—a basic Brew might only take a few minutes to make, but a Kingmaker might take years to collect the ingredients, and months to actually create.